Anyway, we ate at Carl's Jr, which is a special and homey kind of treat. Then we went grocery shopping, which also turned out to be coat shopping for me. The store we went to is kind of like a super wal-mart, sort of, and there were coats on sale for only $0.10 more than a new zipper would cost for the coat that I've been wearing. So I got a really cute new coat, complete with furry trim on the collar that can be removed when it gets warmer.
I was pretty teary all day off and on, mostly on. I started to feel better later in the evening. Thomas was so patient with me all day. He kept reminding me that my body was also going through physiological adjustments that I didn't need to discredit. I think he's right, but when I talk about the physical side of what I'm feeling, I think that I'm making excuses and not really facing what I need to be dealing with and working through.
So anyway. Wednesday was better, though with a migraine. Thursday was all right, but a migraine hangover was no fun.
And now I seem to be "suffering" from a seriously bad case of "I want my own way, and I want it now, and if I don't get it, then I'm going to be a grump and not nice to anyone". Yeah, you could probably wrap that up in one word-selfishness. It seems to be "kicked up a notch" right now. I feel this internal battle. I realize that I'm not behaving in a way that I should. I'm short with my sweet husband and don't want to do anything that wasn't my idea. I feel incredibly inconvenienced at the slightest change of plans. I'm more stubborn than usual (which is bad enough on a daily basis, but extremely prominent right now).
I think I can sympathize with what Paul was saying in Romans 7, at least in part. I know what I should be doing, and most of the time I want to do that; but it really does seem as though there is a physical force that drives me to do something else that I know is not right. I'm not trying to make excuses. I know that I must confess my own sin and seek forgiveness from God and from my family and continue to strive to do what is right. The most frightening part right now to me is that there are some periods during the day when I sometimes don't want to give up my selfish mentality. (I feel a horrid knot in my stomach as I type that! But I'm hoping that confessing to my friends--after my God and my family, of course--will help me be even more aware of the gravity of this sin and press on to overcome.)
Does anyone else ever feel this way? I have thoughts like this: My time is not my own, and I can't seem to do anything that I want to do. I'm always doing things for someone else, when will I get time for ME? Thomas gets to do all the fun things whenever he wants to. Sure, he asks me if it's all right, but then how can I say no? So I say yes, and then I often feel resentful.
There's a sample. I know that these thoughts are not honoring to God. This is not helping me to fulfill my calling as a wife and mother with joy. And I want that joy! I love being Thomas' wife and Isaiah's mother. I hate my sin, so why do I want to hold onto it at times?!

4 comments:
I totally relate. I think one of the hardest things about being a mom is trying to find the balance between selfishness and taking care of your self. It is so easy to loose who you are in the midst of being a wife and mom. YES those roles are a huge part of who we are but they are not ALL of who we are created to become.
Maybe there are some other parts of Cristy that are feeling uncared for and causing this angst?? This type of struggle always gets bigger for me when I'm having a hard time with something but not giving myself time to really listen to my heart. Maybe if you give yourself some space to do something uniquely for you you'll feel refreshed and loved on in a way no other person can offer. Getting a little time away all by myself (I'm talking a few hours) usually works for me. I find the more I can give to myself emotionally the more I can give to my boys as well. When I'm taking poor care of myself or being really hard on myself it usually comes out toward them as well.
I feel REALLY protective of you these days (I'm sure you can tell) and I don't want you to assume that every intense or negative feeling you have is a sinful one...I want you to be sweet to my friend Cristy and to go out of your way to creatively and lovingly take care of her too!
love you,
e
When you figure this one out, please let me know! I HATE when my selfish side rares up, but I always seem to embrace the ugly several times during the week. This is definitely one of my biggest struggles! IF I had my way . . .
I love you! It's so good to read your thoughts especially since we see each other not very often. Looking forward to seeing you next week!
Oh, and the thoughts themselves might not be honoring to God, but the fact that you recognize them as a problem and are trying to get pass them is honoring.
And we need to be honest with God too.:)
Thanks, friends. It is nice to know that this feeling is not unique to me. I think that my emotions are just rather extreme at the moment, or these days that is.
Thank you for your encouragement and love!
And Christy, if I had my way...I'd definitely not act this way. You made me smile with your "embrace the ugly" comment--that's definitely what it feels like.
E-you are so right about time for me. I haven't been able to think things through enough to even realize that I hadn't had time for me lately, since, um, hmmm, I'll get back to you on that one!
Deanna-I'm so looking forward to seeing you, too!
Post a Comment