The day didn't start out quite as planned. Isaiah hadn't pooped yesterday, which usually means a gargantuous poo the next day, which would of course be today. Rather than frantically racing to the changing room at IKEA (yes, they do have one!!!!!!!) and carrying around dirty clothes; I decided that I'd help Isaiah relieve himself this morning. I had planned this last night so as to be able to plan the morning a bit to get out on time.
Isaiah slept in late. We ate breakfast. I gave medicine. I got Isaiah ready for pooping on the toilet. Isaiah had a meltdown. I comforted Isaiah and tried again. Isaiah showed signs of another meltdown, but thankfully calmed down. I helped him. He pooped. I took him off the toilet and prepared some other things. He pooped again. I cleaned him up and got him dressed. Good thing I'm learning to be flexible and that I wasn't planning on meeting anyone!
We walked the 20 minutes to the bus stop for the FREE bus. We saw 2 busses drive by as we waited for 30 minutes, in the cold wind. We finally made it to MEGA. Isaiah was incredibly patient during this time. We went to one store to get some wipes and such before eating lunch. But before lunch we took a short detour to a play area. Isaiah went on the slide and laughed uncontrollably at a brother and sister playing. Then I decided that I couldn't wait any longer to eat my 80 cent hotdog--the best deal in town! Isaiah didn't want to leave the play area. Poor guy, he's really learning what it means to not get his way, to submit his will. I hope I do as well as he does most of the time!
We ate our yummy hotdogs and proceeded to go in the store. I dutifully put my bags from the other store and our coats in the lockable cabinets that they have for customers. Then the guard comes up to me and says, "Aseimelstndihwe soboy."
"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I say in Russian. He repeats himself. Still didn't get it. He points to a sign and tells me to read it. Um, feeling a little pressure here. Don't perform well under pressure. I finally give in and say, "I'm sorry, I'm studying Russian, and I don't understand everything."
"Huff", security guard points to my stuff and points to me and says, "SOBOY, VSYO". (which I actually understood to mean, take all your stuff with you)
As I walked around in the store, this really started to bother me, and I had to really work hard to keep from having a little bit of a meltdown of my own. (like son like mother?) Anyway, I made it through my shopping and got over it, but it wasn't easy.
I'm so tired of not understanding what people are saying to me! I understand about 40% fairly well, and can figure out through context another 20% or so, but after that I'm completely lost. It's exhausting to live here some times; physically and mentally. It takes a lot of work to be a mom anywhere, but then pushing or carrying your child everywhere and not being able to easily communicate to people adds to that work, and I'm tired.
Lately it seems like my mind is a brick wall that anything Russian hits and can in no way break through. I know it will get better because it's been like this before and it got better, but I really hate it during the middle time! I just pray that God uses my mistakes and confusion for His glory. Maybe he'll let me see how sometime. I usually consider myself a fairly intelligent person, but all this language learning is making me wonder! But then I must decrease, and He must increase, right? I don't say that to superspiritualize anything, but remembering that does often help me get through the times when I feel like a complete idiot.

No comments:
Post a Comment