Friday, January 8, 2010

Where to Begin

I didn't check the date of my last post, but I know it was a long, long time ago. Our time in the States was so hectic, and our internet quite spotty, 2 circumstances that kept me from blogging much at all. But now we are back in Russia, and we are getting slowly into a routine again.

This morning I was able to have a good quiet time, something unfortunately quite rare the last couple of months. I would appreciate your prayers for faithfulness in this area. I was doing pretty well with reading and studying before the extreme exhaustion of pregnancy set in and dragging myself out of bed in the morning seemed an insurmountable task! I'm still struggling with exhaustion, but life isn't as hectic now. But I still need prayers for faithfulness and consistency, which I'm guessing is something we all need!

Anyway, about something I read this morning...

I have begun a planned reading schedule to help me be consistent in my reading. I'm already "behind" on the schedule, having just started it today, 8 days into the year, but I'm not stressing about getting caught up. I do want to read through the Bible this year, but I'm not going to rush through it. So this morning I did a couple days reading, which included reading about Joseph in the book of Matthew. I was struck with the fact that 4 times in 2 chapters Joseph was visited in a dream by an angel of the Lord, and right after waking up, he did what he was told by the angel of the Lord.

Hmm, now that's something to think about. I have the written word of God at my disposal every day. How quick am I to obey what is clearly laid out for me? To my modern mind Joseph could have dismissed his dreams as "a little undigested beef" or as something too quirky to be heeded, but he didn't. I have something that has been preserved by God for 1000's of years. Do I listen and obey?

No comments: