Mondays now aren't always difficult for me, but today was. Last week started off with Thomas sick, then better but gone or very busy helping prepare for the conference that he attended Friday and Saturday. Both nights of the conference he got home very late with a guest (a wonderfully, gentle and kind Hungarian pastor). Sunday morning we relaxed a bit before church, which was nice. After church we attended a Bible study at the home of a lady from our church. It was a lot of fun (in Russian, of course), but also a very late night! We got home sometime around midnight.
Praise God, Isaiah did sleep in this morning! I did, too...'til 9:30! I can't remember the last time that I slept that late (without jetlag). The extra rest was nice, but then it felt like half the day was gone. I felt incredibly sluggish and didn't want to do anything! I did manage to straighten up the house a bit, get some laundry done and pick up a few groceries and have a conversation lesson (in Russian, I can converse just fine in English), but it was all by pure forcing myself to get my heavy body off its hindparts and in motion. Poor little Isaiah didn't get very much play time at all today.
So why am I writing about this? Well, I don't like days like this. I know that they come sometimes, but that doesn't mean that I have to like them. I think that being in a different culture does increase the exhaustion that comes from attending such activities as we did this weekend, just because you're not only taking in information, but you're also having to figure out what in the world is being said! And even just going to the grocery store can be tiring as you bundle up and walk and try to answer the babushka's questions that you can't really even hear very well because she speaks so softly and then carry everything home. (hmmm, maybe I just want to complain, but I think at this moment I just want someone to sympathize and understand what life is like over here because I feel inadequate to explain it. I don't think I'm actually complaining, though it really does sound that way sometimes. Actually, the best thing would be for all of you to come see me and live here for a little while; I think that I would feel much better then!)
What do you do to help stay motivated and get done what needs to be done if you ever feel this way.

2 comments:
I hate those days when I sleep too long and feel like the entire day is gone! The best way for me to stay motivated during the day is to have a loosey-goosey type of schedule... just knowing that I have to get XYZ done before lunch, then a few other things before dinner, etc. Also, music helps keep me moving. I put on some peppy music and that really helps keep my energy level up.
A schedule definitely helps me, too! And music is WONDERFUL (hmm, you'd think we were related, or something) :) Love you, cuz!
Hope you back is feeling better!
Post a Comment