But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.
Galatians 5:16
Paul is a good expounder of God's commandments; for he draweth Moses into a brief sum. Natural reason is offended with this shortness of words; for it is soon said, "believe in Christ, and be saved," and, "love thy neighbour as thyself." Therefore it despiseth both the doctrine of faith and good works. Yet this word faith (base and weak as reason taketh it), is the power of God to the faithful, whereby they overcome sin, death, the devil and all evils, whereby also they attain salvation and eternal life. Thus, to serve one another through love, that is to instruct him that goeth astray, to comfort the afflicted, to raise up the weak, to help thy neighbour, to bear his infirmities, to endure troubles, labours, ingratitude in the Church, and in civil life to obey the magistrates, to give honour to parents, to be patient at home with a froward wife, and an unruly family; these and such like, are works which reason judgeth to be of no value. But, indeed, they are such works, that the whole world is not able to comprehend the excellency and the worthiness thereof, for it doth not measure things by the word of God, yea, it knoweth not the value of any of the least good works, which are good works indeed.
Lately God has been pointing out to me through my reading of Galatians and through some sermons I've been blessed to listen to via podcast, that I give much to reason. And perhaps, too, through my conversations with Luda, who trusts only what she can prove and understand and what she can do, have I seen this great error, this great sin in my own life. There is a need for good works in the life of a Christian, no doubt. But those good works are nothing on their own. Those good works, that fulfilling the calling with which I have been called by God, is only fruit of the work that Christ has done in me. Those good works without Christ are filthy rags that have poop all over them.
Why do I seek praise for those nasty works? Why do I want people to think well of me? I am learning just how full of pride I really am. And I probably don't even see the full tip of the iceberg (yes, I mean even the full tip, not the full iceberg). I am thankful that God is showing me my heart, but sometimes it really makes me sick.
But in some ways, I know that I cannot sit for too long in the "I'm a really terrible person" state because, as I was reminded recently in a sermon, I am regenerate! I am in Christ! I can do good works through Christ! Positionally I am sanctified! So, while I do need to know and remember and think about the yuckiness of me; I don't need to live there because that can be like a slap in the face to my Savior Who died for me and changed me! It seems like that position gives me freedom in my good works. I'm not bound by the works "Do this and this and this and you'll be seen as good; but if you don't do this and this and this, well, then it's just too bad for you, you dirty, rotten, good for nothing person!" No, my works are in Christ! My works do nothing for me because all has been done in Christ. Now my works are for Christ. In gratitude and in praise and in worship I do the works that He has called me to do!
Thinking about this, about regeneration and good works, I feel excited! I have energy at this moment after not much sleep, and I want to do the work that God has given me not because I earn anything but because I can do it for Christ. I can love my husband and take care of my son and keep our home clean and fix meals and have people over and show them love for Christ!
I am so pumped about this! I know that this is such a basic principle of Christianity, but I love it when God refreshes me with the basics. And I probably haven't written very well about it because my mind is all in a whirl with excitement and gratitude.
Oh God, may my life, my works, be for You! I am tired of worrying what people think of me because of what I do. Please let me think about what people think of You because of what I do, and not to live in fear and pride and self-service. Help me to love you with all my heart and soul and mind and strength and my neighbor as myself.

No comments:
Post a Comment