Thomas and I had been thinking about buying a home or land or something for a while now, but didn't really think we would be able to do it. We also knew that we must buy whatever we ended up buying in MS so that we could maintain Isaiah's medicaid coverage and thereby continue his wonderful medical care in the States.
All these factors (and much prayer asking for God's guidance!) led us to call RTS. Why? I'm getting there. RTS owns several townhomes about 2 minutes drive from the campus. Our first home as a married couple was one of these townhomes, so we're very familiar with the layout. Thomas called and asked if any of them happened to be for sale. The short answer is "no", but there's more! This is a good story...
RTS didn't currently have any properties to sell, but the director of housing gave us the name of a realtor who works with RTS from time to time, so we called him. ("we" throughout most of this story, when it comes to action verbs such as called, contacted, emailed, etc. really means "Thomas".) The realtor, henceforth referred to as L, told us he would contact some of the owners of the privately owned townhouses to see if any of them were interested in selling. (I've been reading lots of documents lately, so any legalese that slips in is because of that reading.)
One lady who was currently renting out her townhouse said that she would be willing to sell. We became hopeful and made an offer. Rejected! Counteroffer from the seller. Too high for us. Counteroffer from us. Accepted! We celebrated with a home-cooked steak dinner.
The process of closing began with lots of emails and scanned documents and signatures and more emails.
The seller suddenly and for an unknown reason backed out of the deal. We were sad, but as we had been praying all through this process that God would make this clear beyond a doubt if it was what we should do, we felt confident that this was God's doing (which everything is, of course). L said he would contact the other owners of the privately owned homes in the townhouse neighborhood.
Friday night on my way home with Isaiah from having dinner with friends and learning how to play the very fun and exciting game of Settlers of Catan, I got an email from L. RTS was interested in selling us a townhouse for the same price that we were going to pay the original seller. My mouth dropped open. I quickly had to compose myself because I was still in public, and I didn't want people to think I was drunk, which is why people usually show a lot of emotion in public.
So we were back on the buying track. After countless emails and tons of phone calls, we have at last closed on the townhouse. We are really excited that we are now "married" (as Thomas said) to Trustmark bank for the next 30 years or so.
I think I'm still in shock! God is so good to us. We have a place where we can stay for a long period of time to get some medical things done for Isaiah. We can be assured of keeping his medical coverage. We can clean out some things from our parents' attics. Since the home is in a community of townhouses still owned by RTS, we're working out an arrangement for them to be able to use it as a guest home when we're not there, and they will make sure the yard and such is taken care of. AND we'll have a guest room! (hint, hint) :)
We are so thankful for God's provision. Now we pray that we will use the house for His honor and glory, remembering that it's really His anyway.

No comments:
Post a Comment